Tropical Slice was inspired by a cocktail in the tropics, with its fragrant grassy notes from organic Chinese sencha complemented with aged pineapple, creamy coconut and sweet mango. In our test kitchen, we found this delicious combination of flavours is excellent as a low-fuss, iced dessert. Tropical Slice granita is simply heaven served sprinkled over fresh mango cheeks.
In this recipe, we're matching our Tropical Slice with fresh lychee to create a delectable and versatile shaved ice dessert. To achieve the desired flavour, be sure to steep the tea little bit longer and at a slightly higher concentration to allow the wonderful mango, coconut and sencha flavours to come through.
To ensure that your granita doesn't melt too quickly, be sure to serve in chilled glasses. This recipe can be made well in advance of your party, as the ice crystals will simply reform once returned to the freezer. For an extra special touch, add a garnish of fresh garden mint.
Makes 3-4 cups.
- 2 tsp Tropical Slice
- 330mL water
- 200g peeled lychee
- 5g glucose syrup (optional)
- Steep Tropical Slice for 2.5 minutes at 80°C/176°F.
- Place lychee, glucose syrup and Tropical Slice into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Pass through a strainer into a clean container and discard the solids.
- Pour mixture into a cookie tray or similarly flat receptacle and freeze for 1 hour, or until partially frozen. Use a fork to gently flake the ice. Freeze for half an hour until ready to use.
- Spoon granita into serving glasses, garnish with mint leaf and serve.