Tropical Slice was inspired by a cocktail in the tropics, with its fragrant grassy notes from organic sencha complemented with aged pineapple, creamy coconut, tangy lemongrass and sweet mango. In our test kitchen, we found this delicious combination of flavours is excellent as a low-fuss, iced dessert. Tropical Slice granita is simply heaven served sprinkled over fresh mango cheeks.
In this recipe, we're matching our Tropical Slice with fresh lychee to create a delectable and versatile shaved ice dessert. To achieve the desired flavour, be sure to steep the tea little bit longer and at a slightly higher concentration to allow the wonderful mango, coconut and sencha flavours to come through.
To ensure that your granita doesn't melt too quickly, be sure to serve in chilled glasses. This recipe can be made well in advance of your party, as the ice crystals will simply reform once returned to the freezer. For an extra special touch, add a garnish of fresh garden mint.
Makes 3-4 cups.
- 4 tsp/8g Tropical Slice
- 330mL water
- 200g peeled lychee
- 5g glucose syrup (optional)
- Steep Tropical Slice for 2.5 minutes at 80°C/176°F.
- Place lychee, glucose syrup and Tropical Slice into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Pass through a strainer into a clean container and discard the solids.
- Pour mixture into a cookie tray or similarly flat receptacle and freeze for 1 hour, or until partially frozen around the edges. Use a fork to gently flake the ice. Freeze for an additional half hour, and flake the ice again. Freeze one last time for 30 minutes into the final flakiness.
- Spoon granita into serving glasses, garnish with mint leaf and serve.